Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Modern-Day Rip Van Winkle



A Modern-Day

"Rip Van Winkle"

"This is truly a remarkable story which I felt was greatly under-reported, so I thought I would open my newly launched blog, "Aaron's Rod", with this miraculous and thought provoking account. Truly Mr. Grzebski's story is a modern-day miracle, and I think we all have found ourselves in need of a miracle at one time or another. I hope that in it's re-telling, perhaps someone will be encouraged to never lose hope, and to never give-up, no matter what we may be facing. Enjoy ........"

Pole Wakes Up From 19 Year Coma


Last Updated: Saturday, 2 June 2007, 15:40 GMT 16:40 UK


"Mr Grzebski credits his survival to the care of his wife Gertruda."

Mr Grzebski's story

A Polish man has woken up from a 19-year coma to find the Communist party no longer in power and food no longer rationed, Polish TV reports.

Railway worker Jan Grzebski, 65, fell into a coma after he was hit by a train in 1988.

"Now I see people on the streets with mobile phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin," he told Polish television.

He credits his survival to his wife, Gertruda, who cared for him.

Doctors gave him only two or three years to live after the accident.

A comatose patient is in a profound state of unconsciousness which renders them unaware of both self and the world around them, and from which they cannot be roused.

Although those in a coma do not respond to stimuli in a meaningful way, contrary to popular belief they do not always lie quiet and still - in some cases they can move, open their eyes and even talk.

Fall of communists

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Mr Grzebski told news channel TVN24 of his recovery.


Mrs Grzebski is reported to have moved her husband every hour to prevent bed sores."I cried a lot, and I prayed a lot," Mrs Grzebski said on Polsat television.

"Those who came to see us kept asking: 'When is he going to die?' But he's not dead."

When Mr Grzebski had his accident Poland was still ruled by its last communist leader, Wojciech Jaruzelski.


"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Mr Grzebski said.


The following year's elections ushered in eastern Europe's first post-communist government.

Poland joined the Nato alliance in 1999 and the European Union in 2004.

"What amazes me today is all these people who walk around with their mobile phones and never stop moaning," said Mr Grzebski.

"I've got nothing to complain about."

6 comments:

treppenwitz said...

Hi Elaine,

First of all, good luck with 'Aaron's Rod'. I've found that keeping up a blog to be one of the most rewarding hobbies possible.

But on a more self-interested note, thank you for putting treppenwitz on your blogroll. I haven't updated my blogroll in ages and this has reminded me that it's about time. I'll be sure to give you a link.

Warm Regards,

David

Elaine said...

Hi David,

It's so great to have you stop-by, and thank you for your kind words of encouragement !! You needn't thank me for the blogroll though, your blog's fantastic, and I love your writing, besides little Yonah's soooo cute !! I'm a sucker for that little guy !!!

You write with such passion and I truly enjoy reading your blog !! I am so honored that you would give me a link !! Thank you so much !! Please come by again, often !! See you on Treppenwitz !!!

Shalom,
Elaine

Smooth said...

Welcome to the Jblogosphere and good luck with your blog. Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.

Elaine said...

Smooth,

Todah !! How very kind of you !! May I also say that I was very happy to give you a link !! I really enjoy reading your blog !! You really tell it like it is, and we need a lot more of that in these crazy times in which we're living !! Keep fighting the righteous fight !!! And I'll see you over at Smooth Stone !!

Shalom,
Elaine

wolfline said...

Thank you, Elaine, for linking to my blog. I am deeply honored to be among such distinguished company.
Good luck with your blogs.
God bless!
busywolf

Elaine said...

Wolfline,

So wonderful to have you stop by !! I was just at your blog, "Busy Wolf", last night, and I found your latest post to be a very thought provoking article, as always !! I enjoyed reading it very much, and I am the one who should feel honored by your visit !!

Thank you so much for your encouragement !! Keep fighting the righteous fight !!

From one lover of Israel to another, I'll see you at "Busy Wolf" !!

Shalom,
Elaine