Monday, July 9, 2007

I've Been Tagged

My good friend and fellow blogger,

Mr. Bagel

has tagged me with a meme:

Here's how it works:

Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves.

The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed.At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

8 things you didn't know about Elaine:

So here goes ........

1. I was born during the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The last thing my mother remembers hearing my father and a neighbor of ours discussing, just before they came in to wheel her down to surgery (I was also very stubborn even at birth, my mother had to have a C-section), was that there might not be a tomorrow, but then I arrived, at exactly 5 minutes until midnight, and everything got better !!

2. When I was about eight years old, my father promised me that if I would catch a skunk (some folks here-abouts call them poll-cats), he would take it to the vet for me and have it de-scented, so I could keep it as a pet.
So, I went looking and found one, and I caught it. I managed somehow to get it home, (touting it by it's tail) without being bitten, (but, it sprayed me numerous times on the way to the house). I placed it inside an old rabbit pen that I had, and went to tell my father. He was, to say the least, shocked !!
I didn't get my pet though. Somehow it escaped (I thought), from the cage I had it in. I have spent most of my life believing that a skunk could escape through very small holes. It wasn't until recently, that my mother told me the truth about the skunk. My father had lifted the lid and let it go (using a pole about ten feet long) !! I kept my end of our deal, but he had not !! It was probably for the best though, I had to take several bathes in tomato juice before anyone could stand to come near me !!

3. When I was about eleven, I piloted my first plane. It was a small single engine plane, and I was with my cousin, (a professional pilot). He asked if I would like to take the controls, and I said, "Sure" !! I followed his instructions and we flew for about an hour, needless to say, he took the controls when we landed, but it was so exciting and I loved it !!

4. I know it's frowned upon, but I actually met, and married, my best friend when I was only fifteen. We have been happily married now for almost thirty years. We have three grown children, two boys, and our daughter (the baby) now 21.
Although I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, our early marriage worked out great for us. Not only are our children grown, but our two sons have given us four grandchildren between them, (our daughter is still single and about to graduate college next spring), while I still have the energy to keep-up with them !!

5. I began public speaking when I was only ten, by 18, I had given a speech before our governor and his cabinet. It was a spur of the moment thing and had I had the time to get nervous, I'm certain I would have, but it happened so suddenly, that I never had time to think about it. I opened with a joke and before I knew it, I had given an impromptu speech and had received a standing ovation. Just goes to show what you can do when your put on the spot.

6. In 2004, our middle child, Daniel, was in a terrible accident. It happened when he and his older brother, Gerry, and baby sister, Sarah, had gotten together and gone swimming, at the lake. After several hours of fun and swimming, Daniel suddenly cramped-up and disappeared beneath the surface. His brother tried to get to him in time, but could not. Daniel was under water for between 15 and twenty minutes (in warm summer waters, not frigid), before they found him and pulled him out.
He was blue and not breathing. His brother began CPR (Gerry was a certified EMT), the park ranger arrived with a defibrillator , and soon after the ambulance arrived. They had to use the defibrillator twice on the beach and again in the ambulance on the way to the nearest hospital, where he was put on life support and then airlifted by helicopter, to the nearest trauma intensive care unit.
They did not believe he would survive at all. The doctors told us he could not survive off of the respirator, and that he would remain in a "continuous state of vegetative coma" and if he survived would need to be cared for in a hospital and later nursing facility for the remainder of his life. He was nineteen at the time of the accident. They also told us that his personality and any awareness of his surroundings, as well as his memory, his ability to communicate, to walk, or even to swallow were gone permanently, but we refused to except this.
We trusted G-D and never gave up the hope that G-D would totally heel our son, and (to make a much longer story short), Daniel is back to his former sweet loveable, active, intelligent, and opinionated self. He retained all his memory and personality, and is able to not only walk again, but run, not only talk again, but never stops talking (he gets that from his mother), not only to swallow, but eats like a one man army.
I share this as often as I have the opportunity, to encourage others never to lose hope in G-D. We got our son back, and there just aren't words sufficient to express what that meant to us both !! 2004 was an incredible year for us !!

7. In 2005, my mother had a heart attack, and had to undergo a quadruple by-pass. She came through it with flying colors, and absolutely amazed me with her courage and strength !!

8. In 2006, our oldest son was involved in a head-on collision, and was nearly killed. He was airlifted to our nearest trauma unit, where he remained in intensive care, in a coma for a week, and then he was kept another three weeks in intensive care before undergoing numerous surgeries on his hip, his legs, and his feet.
He had to learn to walk again, and was in rehabilitation for his hips and legs for an additional year, but again, G-D brought him through !! We've had a few difficult moments over the past three years, but I wouldn't trade them for anything, because I am more convinced than ever that nothing is to big for G-D !!

Well that's probably far more than you ever wanted to know about me, so now I'll move on to the "8" people I have chosen to tag next !!

They are:

A Simple Jew

Treppenwitz

Oleh Musings

JoshuaPundit

Hear, O Israel

Busy Wolf

Baleboosteh

The American Israeli Patriot

17 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Elaine.
Thanks for the tag, but I got hit by this one last week.
Here's the link:
http://olehmichael.blogspot.com/2007/07/tagged-again.html

I'm sure you'll understand if I don't do the same tag two weeks in a row. :)

Elaine said...

Hi Michael,

No problem !! Of course I understand !!

I just thought of you when I got TAGGED because, I enjoy your blog so much, and I knew others would too !!

Keep-up the good work !! See you soon over at "Oleh Musings" !!

And, ... BTW, It's great to have you stop-by !!

Please, come back soon, and often !!

Shalom, Elaine

Mr Bagel said...

Wow Elaine your 8 answers were so inspiring. Thanks for sharing a little of yourself. Baleboosteh has already done this '8 meme', so she has managed to escape again, make sure you grab her on another meme!
(lol)

Thanks so much

Aaron
Mr Bagel

wolfline said...

Eileen, you truly are an amazing person! I feel privileged to be tagged by someone as talented and inspired as yourself. Thank you.
I wish I could think of eight interesting things about myself that deserve to be shared with the distinguished blogosphere and I wish I had the time to read, or at least drop in on, eight blogs every day. But now that you've designated me for this meme, I guess I'll have to do something about it.
Thanks again.
BTW, I stumbled on your endofdays blog while doing some research on David Biri. How I wish we were not in a position to write so much about so many brave young men and women cut down way before their prime.
G-d bless you and your loved one, Eileen!
Shalom!
p.s. if my comment appears a second time, please discard it. I didn't get the ok for the first post.

wolfline said...

Dear Elaine,

I was so excited I even got your name wrong. Will you ever forgive me?

Busywolf

Elaine said...

Hi Busywolf,

No need for an apology !! Think nothing of it ... I like the name Eileen !!! I'm just so glad you stopped by !!

Your kind remarks were such an encouragement to me !! Thanks so very much for stopping by and for leaving me a comment !! I love to get comments, and especially from other bloggers like you that I enjoy reading their blogs so very much !!

I'm honored to have you visit my blog !!! Please come back often !!

BTW ... I spent nearly an hour on your blog last night !! The historic accounts from the Shoah and especially the one about your grandfather, really touched me !! I was moved to tears as I read !!

I think it's wonderful that you posted these accounts !! Their stories must never be forgotten !! We need to read them now more than ever I think !!

Keep fighting the righteous fight !! I look forward to reading more of your wonderful posts !! They speak to my heart !!

Shalom,
Elaine

mother in israel said...

Elaine--nice blog. You'll have to tell us more about getting married at 15--I didn't know that was even legal! Enjoy your children and grandchildren.

Rafael V. Rabinovich said...

Bracha ushalom!
I do not expect a tag, since I am too sporadic a blogger to actually deserve one, but I do appreciate your posting a link to my blog on your list. I shall reciprocate shortly.

Kol tuv,

Rafael V. Rabinovich

Freedom Fighter said...

Hi Elaine,
OK...I finished and passed it on to 8 other unsuspecting souls...
J O S H U A P U N D I T: Tag, I'm it....

Shabbat Shalom

Baleboosteh said...

Wonderful answers Elaine! Your 2 boys (and the rest of the family I am sure!) have certainly been through a lot with their accidents!...

I loved the skunk story too! Lol!

Kobayashi Maru said...

Elaine - I'm proud to call you my blog-tag grandmother (Joshuapundit tagged me after you tagged him)... and to add you to my blogroll.

What an incredibly entertaining, dramatic and inspiring set of stories you have here!! Who can contemplate your son's near-drowning and NOT take seriously the eternal, compassionate and most holy Lord of creation?

Elaine said...

Mother In Israel,

It's an honor to have you stop by !!

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, they mean a great deal to me !!

You asked about my "8 unknown facts" #4, my rather young marriage ....

well ... it all happened like

this ...

My parents were both "older" when they met and married. My mother was 30, and my father was 50. They had both stayed at home to help their elderly parents, and had never married.

My father's father was an invalid for the last 19 years of his life, and my grandmother was a severe diabetic, and toward the end of her life, she had throat cancer. My father cared for them both until his father died in 1957, and his mother passed on in 1959.

The following year he met and married my mother.

It was two years before I was born, and another two years brought their second child, my baby brother.

My Abba was the best !!

He was older than other fathers, but he made-up for it in every way. He devoted almost all of his time to us, and taught me most everything I know. Most importantly, I think, he taught me, HOW to think !!

Because of his age, and having worked so hard during his life, by the time I was entering my teens, his health was failing fast. This led to numerous stays in the hospital.

There wasn't much the doctors could do, his colon was bleeding, (colon cancer, although it was never diagnosed, my father refused to allow them to perform a biopsy), and he suffered from congestive heart failure as well.

I loved him very, very much, and I felt I owed him so very much.

At this time, my greatest dream was to go to Israel, but I couldn't imagine leaving my parents. They needed me, and too, I had always longed to have children. I was wild about babies, and so the scales tipped in favor of putting-off my dream of going to Israel (until sometime in the future).

My father approved of my choice in a husband, and loved him, so with his blessings we were married.

You see, I wanted my father to see his grandchildren before he died, and for them to know him.

I was seventeen before we were blessed with our first child, a boy, (he was the only grandchild my father ever saw. When our son was only 18 months old, my father died suddenly from heart failure, but he had 18 months of the joy of having a grandson, and that was such joy for him, and for me to witness !!

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but for me, it was the right thing, and I have no regrets !! Like I said, my husband is my best friend (before him, it had been my Abba ) !!

So, .... now you know ... the rest of the story. Thanks for asking !!

Please come back again, and often !!

Again, I am very honored to have you stop by !!

Shalom,
Elaine

Elaine said...

Hi Aaron (Mr. Bagel),

Todah !!

My life experiences pale in comparison to yours !!

Your "8 revelations" were incredible !!

Thanks for "tagging" me ... it's really been great fun, and very informative too !!

Be sure to tell Baleboosteh that, I totally understand !! I'll be certain to remember her on the next meme though !! LOL

Keep fighting the righteous fight !!

Shalom,
Elaine

Elaine said...

Rafael,

It's wonderful to have you come by !! Thank you so much for the link !! You needn't thank me for giving you a link though !!

Your blog is wonderful, and I knew others would enjoy reading it, as I do !!

I especially enjoyed the video you posted recently of Sarah, from Hebron, and her inspiring life !! Her's is an incredible story !! It should both humble and, at the same time, inspire us all !! Thanks for sharing it with your readers !!

Keep fighting the righteous fight !!

Come back again soon, and often !!

Shalom,
Elaine

Elaine said...

Hi Freedom Fighter,

Todah !!

I read your "8 revelations", they're awesome !!

I apologize that I wasn't able to reply immediately after Shabbat, but it has been really hectic here, today !!

I really appreciate your doing this meme,

and, .....

I aiso enjoyed checking-out your list of "8 unsuspecting victims" !!

Some really great blogs to add to my ever growing list of fav sites !!

Fight on my brother !!

Shalom,
Elaine

Elaine said...

Hi Baleboosteh,

Great to have you come by !! Thanks for your encouragement !! It really means a lot to me !!

I found your "8 revelations" fascinating as well !!

Yes, our boys have been through a great deal, but as my father always said, "What doesn't kill, will only strenghten" !! I believe G-D has a purpose for their lives, and so do they !!

Your family has fought great battles too, I know, and I know you can relate !! When it touches our children, it rips at our hearts, but G-D brings us through, and our faith grows because of it !! Give my love to Amber !!

Shalom,
Elaine

Elaine said...

Mr. Maru,

I'm also proud to call you my blog/tag, grandson !!!

The genealogical roots of this meme (that you took the time to trace), were fascinating to me !!

I thought your "8 revelations" were great !! I'm really glad Freedom Fighter tagged you !! One more awesome blog for my blogroll !!!

I really appreciate all your kind words of encouragement !! They mean a great deal to me !!

Please come back again, and often !!

Keep fighting the righteous fight !!

Shalom,
Elaine