Tuesday, July 31, 2007

J O S H U A P U N D I T: Fred Thompson Makes A Serious Error

In my previous post I stated my reasons for no longer supporting a bid by former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson, for President, in the upcoming 2008 race. I see others have also made this same decision.

I wanted to share with my readers, just one more post, by another respected blogger on this important and disappointing turn-of-events.

Please read the following post, and then ask yourself,

"Was this just simply a matter of bad judgement ??"

Or, something much more dangerous ???

Living in Tennessee, and having supported Fred Thompson in his Senate race, I was very saddened, and deeply concerned, to learn of his recent selection of Spencer Abraham, former Senator from Michigan, as his campaign manager.

It just didn't make any sense to me, why he should do such a thing, and after many days of investigation, unanswered questions, and frankly, a good dose of self-flagellation, that I could have been so fooled by this man, I did the only thing that I could do, I openly stated my objections, and then publicized my withdrawal of support for Fred Thompson, stating that I can no longer trust either his judgement or his loyalties.

A good friend and fellow blogger, with a sharp eye, and keen insight, had already arrived at this same conclusion, and had posted his assessment of Fred Thompson's actions over at JOSHUA PUNDIT.

I would encourage everyone to read what Freedom Fighter had to say in his post dated, Thursday, July 26, 2007, then to ask yourselves the same difficult questions that Freedom Fighter and others like myself asked, and then come to your own conclusions as we have done concerning Fred Thompson and his choice of Spencer Abraham as his new campaign manager.

Please read Freedom Fighter's post below:

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fred Thompson Makes A Serious Error

By his works ye shall know him ....

Up until now, I've had a `wait and see' attitude towards the candidacy of Fred Thompson, in spite of his light resume. The fact that a lot of people, especially in his home state seem to have a fairly high opinion of him was reason enough for me to keep an open mind, pending further data.

That's no longer true. Fred Thompson just revealed a lot about himself by picking, of all people, ex-Michigan Senator Spencer Abraham as his campaign manager.

I'm actually quite familiar with Abraham. As Michigan's senator, he was a major proponent of open borders and actually received a major award from The National Council of La Raza in 1997 for his sterling work in obstructing any kind of control of immigration.

And as Michelle Malkin reveals here, Spencer Abraham was also instrumental in preventing the implementation of two different tracking databases–one for foreign student visa holders and the other for all temporary visitors mandated by US law. On September 11, 2001, neither of those databases was in place, and they remain incomplete as I write this.

Even worse, Abraham, an Arab-American of Lebanese decent has consistently come down on the wrong side when it comes to Islamic terrorism, consistently voted against Israel and was actually a lobbyist for Arab nations after he stepped down as energy secretary under President George W. Bush's administration.

Blogpal Debbie Schlussel, who knows him quite well has the details here,
including Abraham's being one of only two Senators in the U.S. Senate who refused to sign a letter calling on President Clinton to condemn Palestinian terrorism and Yasser Arafat, at the height of the homicide bombings in Israel in the last part of Mr. Bill's second term, and his shilling for CAIR, and other questionable Islamists, as well as his sponsorship of USAid grants fro aid to Hezbollah controlled South Lebanon to the tune of over $200 million. No one who's serious about winning the War Against Jihad would want a tool like Abraham anywhere near him.

Either Thompson was ignorant about Abraham's background, which means he lacks the judgment to be president, or he knew about it and appointed Abraham anyway...which means that no one who's serious about fighting this war should remotely consider supporting him.

I'll be interested to hear what Thompson himself has to say about this...and his supporters, many of whom I know to be extremely decent people.

posted by Freedom Fighter at 12:25 PM

1 comment:

Michael said...

As a former Michigan resident, and therefore a "constituent" of Spence Abraham (no, I never voted for him; I swallowed my pride and voted for Stabenow, the least popular woman in Michigan, instead), I can honestly say that this choice guarantees that I will never cast a vote for Fred Thompson.